Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Running

Last July I started the C25K program and went from never ever running to being able to complete a 5K in about 40 min, I think. I sort of dropped the ball and quit running b/c I didn't have a goal to work towards over the latter part of last year and the beginning of this year. Then I decided to pick it back up and while my endurance was fine, my muscles weren't ready to go from nothing to 20 min. runs. So I ended up pulling my calf muscle in my right leg. I was out 8 weeks and then just couldn't get motivated to run again. The past couple of weeks, I finally got off my hind end and am back on the treadmill (best Christmas present ever!!). I'm hoping to do the Race for the Cure on Oct. 4th in under 30 min. That is probably a bit ambitious, but I need a goal besides just to finish the race. I'll be hitting some of my friends up for donations for this wonderful cause, so be ready! ;) Last year I was embarrassed about asking people for money, but after being at the race and seeing what the event was all about, I'm not embarrassed in the least. The pictures of the pink balloons from last year still make me tear up. If anyone wants to run with me, let me know! I would love to have some company!!

Last night I did day 2 of week 3 of C25K and my heiney is sore! It used to be that my calves would be sore, but those are pretty rock solid now, so I guess the soreness is moving up. ;) If my butt gets as in shape as my calves have gotten then it is all worth the pain. I started off really fast last night, well, fast for me, anyway, and just couldn't maintain the pace. It irked me a little so I either need to start at a slower pace or just push through. I think I will try to push through next time b/c to get under 30 min. I need to pick up the pace.

It is kind of odd for me to be posting about running. It still makes me smirk a little when I think back 14 months when I completely balked at the idea of running. "What??? ME? Running? I think not." I have never been an athletic person. I'm short and a little (ok a lot) thick around the middle and oh, so very accident prone. Running was for those people who were already in great shape, not for the flabolicious me. But, thanks to some friends who convinced me that they had started out just like me, I started the running program. And what do you know? It worked! I still don't completely love the process of running, but I like how I feel afterwards. I like that I feel strong and that I have accomplished something. It's an ego boost of my own creation and I love that.

Now I'm off to start getting prepared for pictures! Cross your fingers that my kids are in a good mood. I really can't wait to see the finished product b/c all of the pictures that I have seen that Denae has taken are just awesome.

2 comments:

mandal said...

Man...I can't believe you've been sucked into the world of running:) JK...That is awesome! I wish I was there with you. You do look great and fab by the way:)

Denae said...

Wow, you inspire me. I've never been able to run...well, for very long anyway. I seriously lose my breath in like 30 seconds.