Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Jumping on the CVS, Walgreens, and coupon bandwagon

If you check out Amanda's blog you will find some links and tips on saving some major money using coupons and shopping at the drug stores. I was reading her blog and got totally excited about how much money she saved on diapers so I decided to jump in. Yesterday I went to CVS and bought 2 jars of Planters peanuts, a square box of Puffs facial tissues and a tube of Crest Total toothpaste for under $8 and I got $2 Extra Care Bucks to use on my next trip. Then I went to Walgreens and bought 3 boxes of Barilla pasta for $3 (so $1 each!) and 2 boxes of Hefty galleon freezer bags for $3.29 (or something like that. I don't have my receipt in front of me).

So I was on a pretty big high heading into Target where I was all set to buy the 3 packages of Huggies to get my $5 Target gift card. But when I got to the diapers I decided to get out my calculator and figure out if I was really getting a good deal or not. Turns out, I can get diapers cheaper at Wal-Mart because Tim is a part-time employee there. So even with the $5 taken off the price of the 3 pkgs of diapers, they were still like $.27 each. At Wal-Mart we buy the big box and spend about $.25 each. Doesn't sound like much except that Taylor goes through an average of 6 diapers a day so that's $547.50 per year, if my math is correct. If I paid $.27 each, that's $591.30 so I am saving over $40 a year by buying diapers at Wal-Mart! I could probably save even more if I bought store brand diapers, but I am picky about those kinds of things and really love the Huggies Supremes, well that's not the name of them anymore b/c they just changed it, but the kid that has the stretch all the way around the back and legs. It keeps everything in the diaper! ;)

I didn't buy the paper this week so I printed off some coupons (if you go to iheartcvs.com you can print coupons there) for diapers, yougurt and chips. Random, but it will save a few cents and all those cents add up to free money! I have tried couponing in the past, unsucessfully b/c digging through all the coupons in my accordian file was a pain. However, Amanda had pics of all her coupons and gift cards in a baseball card notebook. Genious! That makes it so much easier to see what is in each category and when they are going to expire.

If you have any other money saving tips, send them my way!

No comments: