Friday, October 17, 2008

My faith is weak

Do you have one thing that really tests your faith in God?

For me it is the death of babies. I don't understand it. As a mother, I can't even processes it. My friends lost their baby girl in June and I almost turned my back on God. These two people are some of the most generous, kind, wonderful people I have ever known and she had to go through almost her entire pregnancy knowing she was going to lose her baby girl. They got to have her for 3 weeks, which is 3 weeks longer than they thought they would, but still. 3 weeks??? I found out today that another friend who lives in the DC area had her boy/girl twins very prematurely and her baby boy didn't make it. Her baby girl is hanging on, but is not out of the woods yet. How can this happen???

I understand that God gives us free will and that bad things can happen as a consequence. But babies?? What free will did they exercise? NONE! Yes, I know they are up in heaven now and will never have to suffer, but what of us left behind? What free will did those parents exercise to warrent the loss of a baby? I just don't understand. I know life isn't always roses and poetry and that sometimes it is very ugly. I know that as a Christian I am almost guaranteed hardships, according to Peter. But babies are pure and innocent and represent the best of this world. WHY DO THEY DIE?! WHY, GOD?!

Please pray for the parents of these precious babies. If I'm struggling with this I can't even begin to imagine the struggle they face and will face daily. I know it sounds a little ironic that I am angry at God but still ask for prayers and have said them myself. It isn't that I don't believe in Him or don't trust Him. I do. I just need some guidance and understanding. It's like when you get mad at your parents. I still love my parents and know that they will always do their best to take care of me and mine, but I still get angry with them. So I guess that's where I am in my relationship with God right now. I thought I had reconciled myself with this question after this summer, but apparently not. Please pray that I don't sin in my anger.

1 comment:

larapete said...

I completely agree. It's amazing how these feelings multiply tenfold when you have one of your own. I'm thinking about you and praying for you and your friends. This is tough.